Well, it’s been quite a while since my last post. Not to worry, I’ve still been cooking-just not posting as much (or really at all). However, my little brother is going back to college this year, and he occasionally reads these, so I might start using it as a way to share recipes with him (that’s the goal at least).
I recently bought the Williams Sonoma “Salad of the Day” cookbook, and today I made my first one out of it! The idea with the cookbook is that there’s a salad for each day of the year (365 total!!). They sometimes use seasonal ingredients, and the summer months are a little “lighter”. I absolutely love it, and I can’t wait to try them all!
Instead of trying to pick “one that looked cool to try” from the entire book, I decided to just make the salad for the day (August 18th), no matter how I felt about it. Trying to get the ingredients was a little interesting. I was 100% ready to pay the millions of dollars for fresh fava beans, fresh wax beans, and fresh romano beans, but I couldn’t find them in the store! So, instead I substituted green beans and canned butter beans, and it actually turned out really well! I would definitely make it again.
Notes for future renditions of this recipe:
- Frozen green beans would probably work just fine (the steamable kind)
- If you’re not big on onions, 1 shallot is probably enough. Mine had 4 total bulbs.
- I think I could get away with using less olive oil (maybe 1/2 c?)
1 1/2 lbs fresh green beans (or 2 12 oz bags), cut into 2 in. pieces
2 cans butter beans (2 normal 15 oz cans), drained
2 shallots, minced (if you’re sensitive to the taste of onions, use 1)
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 c lemon juice
zest of 1/2 lemon
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
3/4 c olive oil
- Fill a pot with enough water to immerse all of the green beans. Bring to a boil, and then dump the green beans in. Boil for 3 minutes, and then dump the green beans into ice water to cool them.
- Use a dry pan to toast the coriander for 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour into a small bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, vinegar, and shallots to the coriander and whisk to combine.
- Add in the olive oil gradually, and continue whisking until the dressing is smooth.
- Combine the green beans and butter beans in a large mixing bowl. Add in the dressing and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 1 hr, and serve chilled.