The past couple weeks, I’ve been really wanting clam chowder for some reason. Now, my issue with clam chowder is that it traditionally uses a lot of cream…and I have a hard time putting that much into a “main dish”. Luckily, I found a recipe that didn’t use cream, and it actually turned out really good!
Modified from this recipe
2 T minced garlic
1 tsp thyme
3 T flour
1 c milk (I used skim)
2 6.5oz cans of clams
1 bottle of clam juice
1 T olive oil
1 bag oyster crackers (optional-for topping)
- Chop the onion and potatoes.
- Put the onion, garlic, and thyme in a large pot with the oil and sautee until the onions are soft-about 5 minutes.
- Add the clams, clam juice, and potatoes. Boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix the milk and flour together. When the mixture is smooth, add to the pot and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with oyster crackers and enjoy! I also tried adding just a tiny bit of half and half to a bowl..if you want more creaminess, try it!