This week, I’m basically living on garbanzo beans. I wasn’t originally planning on posting the second one, but it was way, way too good not to. Thus why there aren’t a lot of pictures..
I’ve also been working on cleaning up my eating, so the nutrition facts are temporarily back. Over my winter break, instead of studying for the GRE more like I should’ve been, I came up with meal plans for the first couple weeks of school.
Recipe #1: Chickpeas and Kale Stir Fry: originally from this site.
I doubled the amount of lemon juice because I thought it didn’t have enough flavor with the original amount. I like a lot of lemon though, so I’d definitely try it with less first.
(Makes 3 servings)
1 c uncooked garbanzo beans
1 bunch kale
1/2 yellow onion
2 T minced garlic
1 T olive oil
4 T lemon juice
- Soak and cook the garbanzo beans. (check out this website I found on how to cook different kinds of beans!)
- Chop the kale and onion into small pieces.
- Put the oil, garlic, and onion in a pan and cook over medium heat for about five minutes.
- Add the kale and garbanzo beans to the pan and cook until the garbanzo beans start to turn brown.
- Remove from heat and add in the lemon juice.
Nutrition: 310 calories, 47 g carbs, 15 g protein, 8.7 g fat, 19 g fiber, 2.5 g sugar. 19% protein, 25% fat, 60% carbs.
Recipe #2: Mexican Chickpea Salad: originally from this site.
1 1/2c uncooked garbanzo beans
4 roma tomatoes
1 red onion (in the future, I might reduce this to 1/2)
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 T olive oil
2 T lemon juice
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
- Soak and cook the garbanzo beans.
- Chop the onion, tomatoes, and cilantro
- Mix everything together, and enjoy!
Nutrition: (1/3 recipe) 296 calories, 49.5 g carbs, 13.05 g protein, 3.7 g fat, 22.6 g fiber. 5.65 g sugar. 18% protein, 11% fat, 67% carbs.